Terms of Service
Union Village Recording Studio Productions & Recording Studio Terms of Service Agreement
1. Client agrees to pay for studio time at the rate in effect at the time of booking. A nonrefundable deposit of one hundred dollars ($100.00) is required to confirm first-time bookings. Deposits for future bookings will be made through the online payment booking system. Clients are welcome to pay in person with cash, e-transfer, debit card or credit card; at least one week prior to their requested appointment. Clients that have failed to show up or show up on time for a reserved booking will lose their deposit and or any studio time they have missed. Rates are subject to change without notice. Minimum session for first-time booking is four (4) hours.
2. The Studio will provide studio time and the services of a recording engineer for the duration required by the Client. All future studio time will be charged at the rate in effect at the time of the booking. Any additional services, including, but not be limited to, mixing, mastering, creating additional tracks, and adding to or modifying tracks when done outside the studio time agreed to may require additional fees.
3. Client is responsible for all monies due to Studio, and shall make payment in advance to Studio by the online payment scheduling system, cash, debit card, or credit card. Any additional charges incurred must be paid at the completion of the recording session. Any payment made insufficient funds will incur an additional fee of fourth five dollars ($45). The Client is responsible for any and all legal costs and attorney's fees required to collect payment for any services rendered.
4. If the Client requires the service of session musicians or backup singers, the client will be responsible for arranging for and paying said musicians or singers. If the Client requests the Studio to arrange for session musicians to be at the recording session, the arrangement will be between the musician and Client. The Studio will not be responsible for the failure of musicians to show up on time nor for the performance of the musicians. In most cases, payment for such musicians will be expected at the time of services. The Studio recommends signing a separate agreement with the session musicians or backup singers.
5. In the event of cancellation of a recording session or other scheduled service by Client with less than a 24- hour notice, Client will forfeit the deposit or pay cost of a 4-hour session if no deposit has been made.
6. If the Studio must cancel a session due to illness or other reasonable cause, the Studio will reschedule the session for the earliest available time consistent with the needs of the Client. In the event neither the Client nor the Studio can agree upon a date and time for a session, the Studio will refund the deposit.
7. Studio time includes setup time, break down time, and any breaks taken by the artist(s) or engineer. The engineer will be allowed a break of up to 15 minutes every 2 hours to alleviate ear fatigue. The engineer will be allowed one 30-minute meal break per session and an additional meal break for sessions lasting longer than eight (8) hours. All such time is on the clock.
8. The Studio shall endeavor to secure all property left on premises by Client, but is not responsible for loss due to theft, fire, acts of God, or other occurrences beyond its control.
9. The Studio shall not release recording files or copies thereof to the Client or Client’s representative until all monies due Studio have been paid. If not paid within 30 days, the Client’s recording files left on premises shall become the property of Studio. Upon complete payment of all monies due by Client, the Studio will transfer all recordings and ownership of sound recording copyrights to the Client. All songwriting copyrights will remain with the author of the work.
10. The Studio will endeavor to backup Client’s recording files to another hard drive after each recording session. Onsite hard drive storage of recording files will be maintained for at least one month after the last recording session. After that time, files may be permanently deleted unless other arrangements have been made. Files for ongoing projects booking time on a regular basis will not be deleted.
11. The Studio shall endeavor to secure all recording files made by the Client, and left or stored on the studio premises, but the Studio is not responsible for loss or damage. In the event of loss to or damage of Client’s recording files due to willful negligence, Studio shall be responsible for replacement of no more than the value of the studio time to date devoted to said recording files.
12. Backing up or copying to external media or to an external hard drive supplied by the Client will be billed at the rate of forty dollars ($40.00) per hour (if not done during the recording session), billed in intervals of one tenth (0.1) of an hour or portion thereof, with a minimum billing for this service of $25.00.Client shall provide his or her own external media and/or hard drives for this purpose. Client will not have access to such media until all payments due the Studio have been made.
13. Client shall be responsible for any loss or damage to Studio property incurred by Client, employees of Client, guests of Client, or agents of Client, as a result of misuse, negligence, and or carelessness.
14. Client shall be responsible for obtaining all mechanical licenses for music for which the Client does not own the rights. All such licenses must be obtained prior to duplication or replication. It is advantageous to assign ISRC codes for each recorded track, which should be embedded in the digital media when the master is produced. The client shall be responsible for and shall pay the fees for obtaining such codes.
15. The Client shall abide by the Studio Rules, which are attached to this agreement. Disobedience of these rules by the Client or a guest of the Client will be grounds for removal of said person or persons from the property, immediate termination of this agreement, and loss of future use of the studio. In the event of termination of this agreement due to such causes, there will be no refund of monies paid by the Client. The Studio or its representative will have sole right to make such a determination.
16. The Client releases the Studio from any harm or damage that may occur to any person in the Client’s party or to equipment belonging to the Client.
17. The Client agrees to allow it’s name, photographic image, and/or musical samples to be used on the Studio’s website and/or for other promotional purposes. The Studio will not sell or allow downloads of the Client’s music without prior agreement.
18. If the client mass produces an album or EP in the form of a compact disc by means of duplication or replication, the Studio requests two (2) copies to be provided to the Studio at no charge. One copy will be displayed at the Studio’s prerogative and one copy will be added to the Studio’s library.
19. Should any portion of this Agreement prove to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable, it shall not affect the remainder of this Agreement. This Agreement is governed by the laws of Canada in the Province of Ontario. In the event of a disagreement between the parties regarding the performance of this Agreement, both parties agree to attempt first a resolution through mediation. Should mediation fail and should litigation arise between the parties, the prevailing party shall be compensated for whatever damages are awarded, plus reasonable attorney's fees by the other party.
20. This constitutes the entire agreement between Client and Studio, and may not be modified, changed, or terminated in any way unless there is a written agreement signed by both parties.
THE UNDERSIGNED PARTIES have read and understand the terms and conditions of this Agreement and do hereby agree to the provisions. If the Client is a band or group, the person signing this Agreement has the right to sign for the band or group and all members of the band or group agree to abide by the Agreement.
Christopher M. Pinto
Union Village Recording Studio 405-116 Railroad Street L6X 4J3 Canada